Sunday, December 6, 2009

whew!

the golden motor is spinning again, just as I suspected it was going to take alot of trial and error getting it back together so that the axle was oriented correctly. Much thanks to the forum members at endless sphere and golden motor, not so much to the golden motor staff but...whatever. Even without the help of the manufacturer I believe that this is another step towards understanding the full capabilities of this motor.

Now the next step will finnaly be mounting this motor to the frame of the bike using a 8 inch diameter steel tube cut to about six or seven inches and placed right behind the seat tube.I do believe after taking the motor apart that the claims of the motor being waterproof are possible with a bit of modification and precaution in the placement of this motor on the bike. The weak points seem to be at the axle berrings and where the motor cover and the rear housing meet. I think that if the berrings on the drive shaft are kept inclosed and the rear housing/cover joining is treated to some sort of sealant this baby should be able to ride in the rain no prob. This comes as a relief to me as I really wanted to be able to have a good portion of the motor exposed not only to show off the motor but to alow the motor case to sink that heat away with air flow.

Now if I can just get my hands on a bunch of A123 cells I might actually be able to get this project rolling. But the light at the end of the tunnel is still quite a ways down cosidering I haven't even begun to think about a BMS.

No comments:

Post a Comment