Thursday, August 27, 2009

golden opportunity


After staying up to the wee hours of the morning with my laptop researching various motors on the internet I decided to go with this one right here. It's a 5000w brushless motor from Golden Motor Company model number HPM5000B. Apparently the company got its start in the electric wheelchair business and for the past few years has made a name for itself making ev motors, mostly of the hub variety. From what I've read people seem pretty happy with the product but all I saw for reviews were on thier hub motors. None with the power that I wanted for this project. Then I noticed this high power brushless motor on thier web site www.goldenmotor.com . It compares nicely with the mars brushless motor I was also considering and seems to be built with much higher quality. The motor weighs about 25 pounds and has an impeler fan on the opposite side and I just love the big ol heat sink going around the whole thing. I still dont know what I'm going to use for a controller, the company that makes the motor also sells controllers, though the heavy duty one they have is bulky and does not support regen braking. They have a small one they call the "magic controller" and it has a bunch of bells and whistles in addition to regen but I dont know if it can handle that much power. I'm currently looking into alltrax and kelly controllers but they are quite pricey.

No comments:

Post a Comment